Junction City High School Counselor
I will list new scholarship applications and links on the Counselor Information page as I receive them. I will also send information through your senior English classes.
Listed below are some of the scholarships you will be able to apply for this year:
1) AASFAA Scholarship - (Arkansas Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators) - Applications will be available in the counselors office. Deadline: April. All seniors are eligible to apply.
2) ACE Division of Rehab Services - February - Student must show financial need and have a disability.
3) Arkansas Association of Federal Coordinators - Applications should be available online after the first of the year. All seniors are eligible to apply.
4) American Legion Scholarship - Deadline March 15 - Counselor's Office
5)Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund - apply online at www.aspsf.org Deadline for fall semester is September 1.
6) Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship - (Lottery) - Requirements: Starting with the class of 2016, the only requirement is 19 on the ACT or ACT equivalent score. FAFSA is required. Deadline June 1. Apply at www.adhe.edu.
7) Arkansas Governor's Distinguished Scholarship - This is the most academically rigorous scholarship program offered for those graduating senior scoring either 32 on the ACT or 1410 on the SAT and a 3.50 academic grade point average. Those who are named National Merit Finalists or National Achievement Scholars may qualify without meeting the GPA requirement, but must still meet the ACT/SAT requirement. FAFSA is not required. Deadline: February 1. Apply at www.adhe.edu Click on You Universal.
8) Higher Education Opportunities Grant (GO! Grant) - Provides $1000 grants to full-time and $500 grants to part-time students based on financial need. Student must ben an Arkansas resident for at least 12 months prior to applying for the grant. Student also must meet the financial need criteria established for the GO! Grant and attend an approved Arkansas institution. Applicants complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the GO! Opportunities Grant application. Deadline: June 1
9) Gary Sewell Scholarship - Must be returned to Union County Farm Bureau (actually in the office) by March 30.
10) Union County Farm Bureau Scholarship - Must be returned to Union County Farm Bureau (actually in the office) by April 1st. Family must be a member of Union County Farm Bureau.
11) Union County Community Foundation Scholarshis - Apply online at www.uccfar.org Be sure to have all supporting documents available to download.
12) Barnette-Harris Scholarship - Local Scholarship - Applications will be available in the counselor's office.
13) El Dorado Service League Scholarships - Available in the Counselor's office.
14) Coca-Cola Scholarship - Apply at www.coca-colascholars.org Deadline: October 31.
You need to complete your FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. If you need help doing this, we can set up a time for you and your parents to come up with tax information and we can help you with that. You have to complete the FAFSA in order to complete your application for the Arkansas Academic Challenge (Lottery) scholarship as well as for the Louisiana TOPS Scholarship program.
To apply for the Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship - Go to www.adhe.edu and click on Financial Aid. You will then have to complete your FAFSA form.
To apply for TOPS - Complete your FAFSA. Be sure your ACT scores have been sent electronically to the Louisiana Office of Financial Assistance. The code for this is 1595. You can do this at www.act.org if you did not have your scores sent there originally.
Seniors are allowed two school days during their senior year to visit college campuses without being counted absent provided they meet the following criteria:
Return the permission slip to the counselor at least two days prior to the visit.
Notify each class teacher of his/her plans at least three days in advance of visit.
Seek pre-approval from the college or institution before scheduling college day.
Have at least a 2.0 average
Return to school with written proof of visit
College days will not be granted during seniors final two weeks of school or during semester test weeks.
Junction City High School CEEB Code:
ACT Test Dates 2015-16
Test Date Registration Deadline
September 12, 2015 August 07, 2015
October 24, 2015 September 18, 2015
December 12, 2015 November 6, 2015
February 6, 2016 January 08, 2016
April 9, 2016 March 4, 2016
June 11, 2016 May 6, 2016
Test Fees: ACT No Writing $39.50
ACT Plus Writing $56.50
*** You will need to use the school CEEB code when registering for the ACT (041-285). If you are a student athlete and you need to send your ACT scores to the NCAA Clearinghouse you will need to provide their code as one of your score reporting choices. The NCAA Code is 9999. If you are a Claiborne Parish student, you must list the score report code 1595 for the Louisiana Tuition Opportunity Program (TOPS). Please use your social security number when registering for the ACT in order to ensure proper identification.
Additional ACT Prep Information:
The following link has free ACT practice tests. Many other practice tests are also available on this web site.
Advanced Placement Exam Schedule
- AP Calculus AB Thursday, May 5
- AP Lit (12th) Wednesday, May 4
- AP U. S. History Friday, May 6
- AP Biology Monday, May 9
- AP Language (11th) Wednesday, May 11
NCAA Clearinghouse - College-bound student athletes in the junior and senior classes need to register with the NCAA Elibibility Center if they plan on participating in college athletes. Early registration promotes positive planning and involvement, eliminates the last-minute rush, and helps college-bound athletes avoid issues that may delay their academic and amateur certifications. Register online at www.eligibilitycenter.org .
NAIA Schools - The NAIA has also started an eligibility center. It is required if you plan on attending a NAIA school and participating in athletics. It is very similar to the NCAA Eligibility Center. To see a list of NAIA schools go to http://naia.cstv.com. You can even have them listed by state.
College Preview Days
Seniors must obtain college visitation passes from the counselor's office at least two days prior to the visit. They must notify each class teacher of his/her plans at least three days in advance of the visit.
Helpful Web Sites
www.act.org - Once you get to this site click on “The Test.” You can then create a student web account that will allow you to:
*Register for the ACT (You will need a credit card to do this.)
*View you scores
*Send your scores
*Take practice tests
*Have access to all sorts of valuable information about the ACT
www.adhe.edu – Arkansas Department of Higher Education Web Site- This site provides access to information about Higher Education across the state of Arkansas. This is also the web site that allows students to access the Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship Application. (Arkansas Lottery)
www.saygocollege.com – - This web site provides support for the Say Go College campaign. This is a campaign to encourage all students to attend college. Say Go College week is a week set aside to better prepare you for your college career. Say Go College Week will be in February.
www.fundmyfuture.info – Financial Resources to address critical career needs in Arkansas. There is information as well as a free scholarship search at this web site.
www.asla.info Arkansas Student Loan Authority – This site provides information about loans as well as scholarships. There are links here to other scholarship searches.
www.fastweb.com Scholarship Search
***Important Note: Avoid any scholarship search that charges a fee.
www.collegeboard.com This site has information for students, parents, and teachers. There is also a scholarship search available here.
www.aspsf.org Single Parent Scholarship Fund
www.coca-colascholars.org Apply online at this site for the Coca Cola Scholarship. The initial phase of the application is available between August 1 and October 31.
www.scholarships.com Free college scholarship search & financial aid information
LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY - Undergraduate Application for Admission Scholarship
The Arkansas Student Loan Authority (ASLA) is pleased to announce enhancements to their free scholarship search on Fund My Future which can be viewed at www.fundmyfuture.info. Fund my future is a financial resource to address critical career needs in Arkansas and also houses a free scholarship search database. A new feature on the scholarship search is "Backpack". Students may save and track results by creating their own Backpack account.